ABOUT ERWIN TOWNSHIP
Erwin Township is located in Gogebic County in the western tip of the Upper Peninsula. The Township was created out of the development of the City of Ironwood, which was incorporated in 1889, as a result of mining in the area. By 1891, six mines were operating in Ironwood including the Ashland, Aurora, East Norrie, Newport, Norrie, and Pabst with over 3,000 men working in these mines. Erwin Township was originally part of Ironwood Township, until 1907 when James Monroe drafted and presented a bill to the Michigan Legislature defining a smaller Township for the benefit of the Newport Mining Company. The first Township Board was created on April 15, 1907. Erwin Township initially grew as a farming community, growing from a population of 69 in 1910 to 852 in 1920. Thirty-five dairy farms existed in the Township at one point in time. Logging became a major industry in the early 1900s, where logs were hauled out of the Black River and Mosinee areas by a steampowered tractor, which later became easier with the construction of rail lines. In 1935, a CCC (Civilian Conservation Corps) Camp was established in the Norrie location on the north bank of the Montreal River, just outside Ironwood.